|Both centers offer a lounge for ESCOM members and a place for ESCOM committees and clubs to meet. ESCOM volunteers welcome you at both locations.
Student Services Bldg, Rm 146
College of Marin
Kentfield CA 94904
Monday through Friday,
9:30am-3:30pm, and is
staffed by volunteers.
KTD Driving Directions
KTD Map and directory
Indian Valley Campus
Administrative Services complex
Building 10, Rm 140
1800 Ignacio Blvd.
Novato, California 94949
415.457.8811, ext. 8322
To schedule use of Emeritus North, please call 415.883.7805.
IVC Driving Directions
IVC Map and directory
|LIFELONG LEARNING | LIFELONG DOING | LIFELONG FRIENDS
The Emeritus College (EC) is a unique program designed to meet the needs of Marin County’s lifelong learners who already may have earned their degrees and who may be transitioning—or have already transitioned—into retirement.
EC was created in 1974 at College of Marin for older adults. Dedicated to the principle of lifelong learning, its initial program of seven courses for about 80 women and men now offers up to 50 classes with over 600 enrollments each quarter. Classes are now given at the College of Marin Kentfield and Indian Valley Campuses, as well as at off-campus sites around the county.
(Credit: NCM Media Networks)
As a pioneer in the innovative use of community colleges for adults, EC was selected as a national model by the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare and helped many institutions initiate similar programs. There are no previous educational requirements for participation in EC — only a desire to learn.
Chorus Emeritus: Photographed above are members of Chorus Emeritus.
This popular Community Education class is taught and directed by Jeffrey Paul.
If you like to sing or think you would like to sing, come and join the Chorus Emeritus!
EC classes offer a wide array of opportunities for students to discover new interests, to reconnect with lifetime passions, and to find engaging interaction with like-minded individuals in a multitude of classes and activities. The EC program offers first-rate instructors and high-quality classes that actively support the principles of quality of life, lifelong learning, and creative retirement.
Emeritus Students College of Marin (ESCOM)
Emeritus Students College of Marin (ESCOM) is designed to serve the unique needs of older adults who are dedicated to the principles of quality of life, lifelong learning, and personal growth. ESCOM is an integral part of College of Marin.
Basic to ESCOM is the concept of democratic decision making and planning using the talents and judgment of its members to enrich their own lives and to contribute to the community. ESCOM is organized so that its members may learn and develop through study, clubs, and auxiliary activities.
ESCOM is always looking for interested volunteers. Find out how you can make a difference with your special skills. Stop by the Emeritus Center on the Kentfield Campus of the College of Marin, or call 415.485.9652 and chat with one of our volunteer receptionists.
ESCOM at a Glance
When you join ESCOM, you are entitled to many scholastic and social privileges:
Your membership fee also supports Financial Aid Grants for eligible students, as well as subsidies for low-enrolled classes.
- Emeritus Centers on the Kentfield Campus and Emeritus North on the Indian Valley Campus are open as a stopping place for rest and refreshment.
- Clubs specially designed by and for our members include, but are not limited to: Adventurers, Book Banter, Bridge, Current Events, French, Global Issues, Great Books Discussion, Great Ideas in Philosophy, Humanities, Italian, Film Noir, Moral, Ethical and Legal Issues, Opera and Beyond, Scrabble, Shakespeare, Singalong, Writers’ Workshop.
- Newsletter sent ten times a year, featuring information regarding events, club activities, and college news, as well as cultural and educational opportunities.
- COM Library Card
- Get-together festivities in December during the winter holidays, and in May for the Spring Celebration.
- Art Exhibits at the ES Center. Exhibits feature the work of College of Marin students and faculty, whether from ES, Community Education, or credit programs.
Join ESCOM Today!
Download a copy of our brochure to join. You may either sign up at Emeritus Center on campus or mail your application with a $15 check to:
Student Services Room 146
College of Marin
Kentfield, CA 94904